ReedPOP, the world’s leading producer of pop culture events, announced the debut of The Studio @ NYCC, a new event series featuring NYCC Master Classes, Workshops and exclusive Conversations developed in collaboration with Entertainment Weekly and the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA). Bringing fans inside the worlds of entertainment and storytelling by connecting them with top-tier talent and creators, The Studio @ NYCC will take place October 4-7 at Shop Studios (528 W 39th St), just one block from the Javits Center, NYCC’s home base.
The Studio @ NYCC offers events that explore storytelling in all its forms including film & TV, art, books, tech, and more. Industry luminaries will discuss their craft in an intimate setting sure to spark creativity and inspire meaningful dialogue. The Studio @ NYCC events will each be separately ticketed and will not require a NYCC badge, allowing NYCC fans and the general public to attend.
This new event series includes a very rare public appearance by Eisner Award-winning artist Alex Ross. Ross will discuss his new book Marvelocity from Pantheon with editor and designer Chip Kidd. This headlining event will take place on Saturday, October 6 and will feature a signing session with Ross following the Conversation.
Tickets for this and other first wave events are on sale now at NYCC18.com/TheStudio with more events announced in the coming weeks.
“We’re always looking for new ways to bring amazing pop culture content to our NYCC fans and a wider audience. We’re thrilled to offer the opportunity for fans to learn from the best in their fields at our NYCC Master Classes and Workshops and to hear from all-star talent about their creative inspiration and relevant industry topics,” said Lance Fensterman, Global President of ReedPOP. “The Studio @ NYCC offers truly one-of-its-kind experiences that fans are going to love.”
Conversation events will feature handpicked talent in an intimate setting to discuss today’s essential topics in entertainment such as diversity & inclusion, content trends, and upcoming projects from Hollywood’s biggest hitters. ReedPOP is working with Entertainment Weekly and the MPAA to curate these unique Conversations with talent and creators in the worlds of film & TV.
NYCC Master Classes enable students and fans to learn from stars of the entertainment industry. These one-time only classes feature stars sharing experiences from their own careers, allowing attendees to learn new skills and concepts in a genre of interest.
Workshops give fans an opportunity to roll up their sleeves and dive in to their craft alongside leading experts in a number of artistic fields. Leading experts in each of these fields will offer activities, anecdotes and tips that will deliver unparalleled insight to break through in their field.
Tickets for these and other first wave events are on sale now at NYCC18.com/TheStudio with more to come in the following weeks.
· Marvelocity: Comic artist Alex Ross discusses his new Marvel-based book from Pantheon with editor and designer Chip Kidd
· Emmy-winning Producer and Screen Writer Ronald D. Moore: The Producer behind Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica and Outlander (NYCC Master Class)
· Building Worlds with The Handmaid’s Tale Costume Designer Ane Crabtree (NYCC Master Class)
· A Conversation with Travis McElroy, Clint McElroy, and Carey Pietsch discussing their latest graphic novel from First Second, The Adventure Zone Here: Here There Be Gerblins and their upcoming follow-up, The Adventure Zone: Murder on the Rockport Limited
· Actor and Comedian Phil LaMarr (Justice League Unlimited, Futurama, MADTV) on the Art Voice Acting (NYCC Master Class)
· Comic Artist and Writer Katie Cook (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, Nothing Special) teaches Writing for Graphic Novels (Workshop)
· Jumping the Voxelgon: How to Start Making Games with Shawn Alexander Allen (Workshop)
· Basic Unarmed Combat For the Screen taught by renowned Fencing Instructor Jared Kirby (Workshop)
· Filming in New York: Why you should make your next film or TV series in the Empire State, featuring Empire State Development President, CEO and Commissioner Howard Zemsky, experts from the Governor’s Office of Motion Picture & Television Development (MPTV) and industry representatives (Workshop)
The Studio @ NYCC is another exciting expansion of New York Comic Con programming and experiences as ReedPOP broadens the event’s reach to every corner of the city. This year’s show will consist of hundreds of events across eight venues including the debut of Anime Fest @ NYCC x Anime Expo at Pier 94, exclusive TV and film panels at the Hammerstein Ballroom and The Hulu Theater at Madison Square Garden, in-depth librarian and educator focused programming at the New York Public Library, and much more.
New York Comic Con is the ultimate pop culture destination event in the United States. NYCC brings the best of comics, television, film, exhibitors, celebrities, cosplay, anime, and more to create memorable, uniquely exciting experiences for fans. These experiences transcend beyond the walls of the Javits Center and continue to live beyond the weekend of NYCC through the online world of ReedPOP digital content.
Additional exciting details about NYCC, talent, and sponsors will be announced in the coming months.