HBO Global Licensing is excited to debut a wide array of new Game of Thrones products and convention exclusives at this year’s San Diego Comic Con, and to highlight some of its bestselling products released throughout the series’ run. To help celebrate, HBO is inviting fans to participate in a Comic Con Scavenger Hunt, sending them on a quest to find some of the coolest Game of Thrones products available on the Comic Con floor.
Starting Wednesday, July 20, at 6pm PT when the convention floor opens for Preview Night, until Saturday, July 23, at 5pm PT, participating fans must complete all of the following challenges by posting photos of themselves with the specified products to their public Twitter profiles using the hashtag #GoTScavengerHunt. Fans who have completed all challenges should go to USAopoly’s CLUE®: Game of ThronesTM Experience Booth #1017 on Saturday between 9:30am and 5pm and enter their name, contact info and Twitter handle into a raffle for a chance to win a prize pack valued at approximately $200. A total of 15 winners will be chosen at random and will be contacted Saturday evening with information about claiming their prizes.
• Post a photo of yourself in front of the MEY for Game of Thrones jewelry display case inside the Hall of Faces Experience, located across from the Omni Hotel on L Street in the Gaslamp District. (Please note that the entry line forms early each morning.) The MEY for Game of Thrones collection features jewelry seen on and inspired by the hit series, created in a partnership between Emmy®-winning Game of Thrones costume designer Michele Clapton and the London-based jewelry brand Yunus & Eliza.
• Post a photo of yourself wearing (or with someone wearing) The Night King mask ($669.95) at CFX Booth #2944. Their silicone White Walker masks have been a hit at Comic Cons past, and now CFX is back with a new mask modeled after the king of the White Walkers. Pale blue striated flesh stretches upwards into a regal and organic ice crown to capture the look of this malevolent and powerful being.
• Post a photo of yourself with The Night King Bust (Metallic Silver) at Dark Horse Booth #2615. The bust measures 8-3/4 inches tall. His 12-inch arms are raised as if he is a conductor orchestrating a crescendo, while challenging Jon Snow and the Night’s Watch army as they retreat. This silver plated bust is available in a limited edition of 200 for $150.
• Post a photo of yourself wearing The Royal Crown of King Robert Baratheon at Factory Entertainment Booth #2647. Copied directly from the original screen-used prop, this 1:1 scale replica is finely crafted in solid metal to give it a heavy and suitably regal feel. Each limited edition replica (price TBA) is then hand-finished in a lustrous gold effect metal and has inset reproduction gemstones. The replica includes a specially designed iron sword motif display stand that allows the replica to rest on the hilts of four swords.
• Post a photo of yourself with a Game of Thrones Sigil Stationery Set at Insight Editions Booth #1703. These deluxe stationery sets ($34.95 each), themed to House Stark, House Lannister and House Targaryen, provide all the items fans will need to communicate with friends, bannermen, and faraway Maesters.
• Once all photos have been posted to Twitter using #GoTScavengerHunt, line up at USAopoly’s CLUE®: Game of Thrones™ Booth #1017 at 11am Saturday morning. The first 15 fans in line who have completed all previous challenges and who post a final photo of themselves with the CLUE®: Game of Thrones™ Convention Exclusive: Expansion Pack will win a SDCC Game of Thrones Prize Pack valued at approximately $200. The CLUE®: Game of Thrones™ Convention Exclusive: Expansion Pack($19.95; $60 when purchased with CLUE®: Game of Thrones™), includes two new character cards: Oberyn Martell and Barristan Selmy with power cards; six gold weapons: Poison Vial, Battle Axe, Arakh, Faceless Man Coin, Crossbow, Catspaw Assassin Dagger; and a custom scoring pad. Fans are welcome to stop by USAopoly’s booth anytime during regular Comic-Con hours to take their photo with CLUE®: Game of Thrones™ Convention Exclusive: Expansion Pack and to play Solve the Mystery to win prizes.
Prize Pack Includes:
• CLUE®: Game of Thrones™ + CLUE®: Game of Thrones™ Convention Exclusive: Expansion Pack
• McFarlane Iron Throne Room Construction Set
• Factory Entertainment Game of Thrones plush figures
• Dark Horse Varys Figure
• Insight Editions Sigil Stationery Set
• Game of Thrones SDCC Exclusive The Night King T-shirt
Fans can also check out other Game of Thrones products like the SDCC exclusive Mag the Mighty Funko Pop! figure (Funko – Booth #5341), the official companion book series (Chronicle Books – Booth #1506), and the Living Language Dothraki language course (Random House – Booth #1034), as well as a variety of other new and exclusive products available from the licensees above. A full list of Game of Thrones products that will be featured at Comic Conis available below.
Composite Effects – Booth #2944
The Night King Mask and Gloves
Dark Horse – Booth #2615
The Night King Bust (Silver)*
The Night King Pin
Son of the Harpy Figure
The Night King Figure
Stannis Baratheon Figure
Factory Entertainment – Booth #2647
Direwolf Cub Plush Box Set II (features Shaggydog, Lady and Summer)*
The Red Keep Relief Sculpture
The Royal Crown of King Robert Baratheon
The Wall and Castle Black Limited Edition Desktop Sculpture
Funko – Booth #5341
Dorbz Three-Pack – White Walker, The Hound, Joffrey*
Mag the Mighty 6″ Funko Pop!*
USAopoly – Booth #1017
CLUE®: Game of Thrones™ Convention Exclusive: Expansion Pack*
CLUE®: Game of Thrones™
MONOPOLY®: Game of Thrones™ Collector’s Edition
Risk®: Game of Thrones™
Insight Editions – Booth # 1703
Pop-Up Guide to Westeros Book
Sigil Stationery Sets
Poster Book Collections
Living Language – Booth #1034
Living Language Dothraki
Chronicle Books – Booth #1506
Inside Game of Thrones: Seasons 1 & 2
Inside Game of Thrones: Season 3 & 4
Think Geek – Booth #3351
Game of Thrones Dragonclaw Goblet Replica
Game of Thrones House Sigil Journals
Game of Thrones House Sigil Wine Charms
*Denotes Convention Exclusive. Only available on the Comic Con floor, with a limited allotment available at Store.HBO.com starting Wednesday, July 20.
No Question Mark Box Here; Super Mario Delivers a 1-Up in Theaters
If you were born in the ’80s, ’90s, or literally ANY decade after those, you know about Super Mario. A cultural phenomenon was brought to life on the big screen this last weekend. One that has not only stood the test of time but reinvented itself time and time again. This wasn’t even the first time it’s been made into a movie but, well, let’s be honest.. some of us choose not to acknowledge the LIVE action adaptation of the beloved game from 30 years ago.
It was pretty bad… But this was animation. ILLUMINATION animation at that. The Universal company that brought us Gru and his Minions, showed us the Secret Life of Pets, and gave us a reason to SING! Still, I had my reservations and even some concerns, especially when the casting was announced.
Eyebrows were raised. As big of stars as they were on paper, could they really deliver on voicing characters from a staple of our childhood? They did.
Chris Pratt and Charlie Day may not be Italian, and Jack Black may not be a King or Turtle creature from the Mushroom Kingdom, but they make the characters their own all while paying homage to the lore of a video game.
From the jump, the story reintroduces us to the brothers that just want to save Brooklyn one clogged sink at a time. We feel an instant connection and relate to these “underdogs of the plumbing world”. The movie is riddled with easter eggs, each of which tugs on the heartstrings of every generation of Mario fandom. And the soundtrack was beautifully put together to not only make us feel like we’re taking a walkthrough of the game but like an experience all its own with some familiar favorites thrown in.
Every word in the movie is pure eye candy for both those that are casual fans, and those analyzing every frame to see what they’ll catch next. Bowser’s ship, the Mushroom Kingdom, Kong’s arena, and the Rainbow Road.. They’re all meant to give us just enough of a “new” look at these amazing worlds, but stay true to how we remember them.
The movie itself moves along at the perfect pace. Although, if you don’t really know ANYTHING about the Super Mario Bros, you may have gotten a little lost and felt left behind in the green tunnel. But that’s ok! It’s an adventure of the imagination and a classic story of a boy that meets a girl and tries to save the world from a monster that wants to destroy it.
What’s funny is that you could easily say this is a story about two characters who couldn’t be more opposite if they tried, battling to win the heart of a princess. Who would’ve thought that the King of the Koopas was just trying to impress his crush?
And that song? Ohhh THAT song! It’s my new ringtone and deserves the Oscar for Best Original Song.
Back to the movie.
Universal and Illumination clearly understood the assignment. Is it missing some things or could things have been done differently or even better? Absolutely! We’re the worst critics of the things we hold nearest and dearest to our hearts. But if you’re up for going on a 90-minute adventure through amazing worlds, with awesome music, and characters that’ll make you smile and laugh, then this is the perfect movie to spring you into that warm summer feeling.
Plus there’s the whole part with karts and shells, and banana peels and oh my goodness how amazing was that?? It’s enough to make you want to stand up and cheer, then go home and destroy your friends and family on your favorite track haha.
The bottom line, it pays homage in all the right ways to the little guy with the mustache, while giving us something new and exciting. Take the kids and go see Super Mario Bros. You’ll be glad you did!
Warner Bros. Discovery Home Entertainment returns to WonderCon 2023
Justice League x RWBY: Superheroes & Hunters Opening Act Saturday, March 25 at 1:30 p.m. on North 200A. Talent confirmed so far to participate in the post-screening panel is Natalie Alyn Lind (Big Sky, The Goldbergs, Gotham) as Wonder Woman/Diana Prince and longtime RWBY cast member Lindsay Jones (Camp Camp) as Ruby, Kara Eberle ( RWBY: Ice Queendom) as Weiss, Arryn Zech (Detective Now Dead) as Blake and Barbara Dunkelman (Blood Fest) as Yang – along with Jeannie Tirado (Soul, Saints Row) as Green Lantern and Tru Valentino (The Rookie, The Cuphead Show!) as a cyborg. Also attending the panel will be producer/director Kerry Shawcross (series RWBY) and writer Meghan Fitzmartin (Supernatural, Justice Society: World War II).
Warner Bros. Discovery Home Entertainment returns to WonderCon 2023 with the big screen debut from DC Animated Films: highlights this year include the world premieres of the highly anticipated Batman: The Doom That Came To Gotham and Justice League x RWBY: Superheroes & Hunters Part One the weekend of March 24-26 in Anaheim, California. Both screenings will be followed by panel discussions with actors and creators. Batman: The Doom That Came To Gotham premieres at The Arena on Friday, March 24 at 6 p.m. Tati Gabrielle (Kaleidoscope, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Uncharted) as Kai Li Cain, Christopher Gorham (The Lincoln Lawyer, Insatiable) as Oliver Queen, David Dastmalchian (Dune, Suicide Squad, Ant-Man) as Grendon, producer/co-director Sam Liu (The Death and the Return of Superman), co-director Christopher Berkeley (Young Justice) and screenwriter Jase Ricci (Teen Titans Go! and DC Super Hero Girls: Mayhem Across the Multiverse).
Both films will have encore screenings in the Arena on Sunday, March 26. Justice League x RWBY: Super Heroes & Huntsmen, Part One will screen at 12:15pm, followed by Batman: The Doom That Came To Gotham at 2:00pm