As SYFY celebrates its 25th anniversary and its recent brand reboot, the network is headed to San Diego Comic-Con bigger and better than ever before. In addition to 15 SYFY series panels or screenings, the network is rolling out a host of events, activations and parties designed to leave no fan behind. And SYFY will once again extend the fun to fans nationwide, with a three-night live TV event,SYFY LIVE FROM COMIC-CON, hosted by Zachary Levi.
“San Diego Comic-Con is the pinnacle event of the year for sci-fi enthusiasts, and as the only network dedicated to the genre 24/7, we can’t wait to celebrate in a big way,” said Alexandra Shapiro, Executive Vice President, Marketing and Digital, USA Network and SYFY. “SYFY is going to San Diego this year with a singular focus: to put fans first.”
SYFY’s SDCC takeover includes:
PANELS AND SCREENINGS!
15 SYFY panels and screenings, including:
- A frakking great BATTLESTAR GALACTICA reunion! With creator Ron Moore and cast from the hit series.
- The ultimate sci-fi debate throwdown! Moderated by John Hodgman, the biggest names in the sci-fi universe duke it out over the most influential moments, milestones and people in the genre’s history. In “SYFY Hosts the Great Debate,” our expert panel will have the final word (or not!) on important topics like: “Star Trek” or “Star Wars”? Did Han or Greedo shoot first? And just who was the most influential captain of all time?
- Panels for 11 SYFY shows! Including:
- o SYFY’s upcoming Superman prequel series KRYPTON and the graphic novel adaptation HAPPY! (KRYPTON panel is co-hosted with Warner Bros. Television Group, and HAPPY! is co-hosted with Universal Cable Productions)
- o Stars and creators of current SYFY hits THE EXPANSE, THE MAGICIANS and 12 MONKEYS (THE MAGICIANS and 12 MONKEYS panels are co-hosted with Universal Cable Productions)
- o Fan favorites SHARKNADO, VAN HELSING, WYNONNA EARP, Z NATION and DARK MATTER — and upcoming new series GHOST WARS(All panels hosted by their respective studios)
- Two big screenings! SYFY and Universal Cable Productions are screening an all-new episode of the grindhouse series BLOOD DRIVE and the premiere episode of “NO-END HOUSE,” the next installment in SYFY’s hit horror anthology CHANNEL ZERO.
EVENTS AND ACTIVATIONS!
- SYFY fan parties! Stripping away the exclusivity of traditional Comic-Con parties, SYFY is throwing two nights of first-come-first-served bashes. Hosted at the Children’s Museum on Thursday, July 20 and Saturday, July 22, the themed parties feature photo booths, hourly surprises, live performances and more.
- Superfan nuptials! Who says Comic-Con isn’t romantic? Actor Orlando Jones makes fans’ dreams come true, as he presides over pop-up nuptials at TBD locations throughout the weekend.
- Trivia trolleys! Test your sci-fi knowledge and compete to win prize money and other giveaways on SYFY trolleys roaming the streets of San Diego.
- Cosplay karaoke buses! Take the stage – and the mic – to belt out your favorite sci-fi theme songs on SYFY buses traveling throughout the city. You might even be surprised by one of your favorite stars!
- Cosplay repair carts! Get an expert makeup touch-up or costume repair at these roaming carts, designed to ensure that all cosplaying ‘con-goers are at their camera-ready best.
- A SYFY drumline! A drumline marching through the streets of the Gaslamp Quarter, playing sci-fi theme songs and commemorating major moments in science fiction history? Yes, please.
- The Nerd Party lives on! SYFY is partnering with Zachary Levi to co-host his annual invitation-only Friday night party.
- Levi will host SYFY LIVE FROM COMIC-CON, a three-night live television event that allows fans across the country to experience the best Comic-Con has to offer, dissect breaking ‘Con news, and hear from their favorite stars and creators. Airing Thursday, July 20 through Saturday, July 22, the live event is produced by Wilshire Studios.
- SYFY WIRE’s intrepid reporters and correspondents are providing 24/7 coverage of all the breaking news from the ‘Con, online via www.syfy.com and on air on SYFY (including SYFY LIVE FROM COMIC-CON).
No Question Mark Box Here; Super Mario Delivers a 1-Up in Theaters
If you were born in the ’80s, ’90s, or literally ANY decade after those, you know about Super Mario. A cultural phenomenon was brought to life on the big screen this last weekend. One that has not only stood the test of time but reinvented itself time and time again. This wasn’t even the first time it’s been made into a movie but, well, let’s be honest.. some of us choose not to acknowledge the LIVE action adaptation of the beloved game from 30 years ago.
It was pretty bad… But this was animation. ILLUMINATION animation at that. The Universal company that brought us Gru and his Minions, showed us the Secret Life of Pets, and gave us a reason to SING! Still, I had my reservations and even some concerns, especially when the casting was announced.
Eyebrows were raised. As big of stars as they were on paper, could they really deliver on voicing characters from a staple of our childhood? They did.
Chris Pratt and Charlie Day may not be Italian, and Jack Black may not be a King or Turtle creature from the Mushroom Kingdom, but they make the characters their own all while paying homage to the lore of a video game.
From the jump, the story reintroduces us to the brothers that just want to save Brooklyn one clogged sink at a time. We feel an instant connection and relate to these “underdogs of the plumbing world”. The movie is riddled with easter eggs, each of which tugs on the heartstrings of every generation of Mario fandom. And the soundtrack was beautifully put together to not only make us feel like we’re taking a walkthrough of the game but like an experience all its own with some familiar favorites thrown in.
Every word in the movie is pure eye candy for both those that are casual fans, and those analyzing every frame to see what they’ll catch next. Bowser’s ship, the Mushroom Kingdom, Kong’s arena, and the Rainbow Road.. They’re all meant to give us just enough of a “new” look at these amazing worlds, but stay true to how we remember them.
The movie itself moves along at the perfect pace. Although, if you don’t really know ANYTHING about the Super Mario Bros, you may have gotten a little lost and felt left behind in the green tunnel. But that’s ok! It’s an adventure of the imagination and a classic story of a boy that meets a girl and tries to save the world from a monster that wants to destroy it.
What’s funny is that you could easily say this is a story about two characters who couldn’t be more opposite if they tried, battling to win the heart of a princess. Who would’ve thought that the King of the Koopas was just trying to impress his crush?
And that song? Ohhh THAT song! It’s my new ringtone and deserves the Oscar for Best Original Song.
Back to the movie.
Universal and Illumination clearly understood the assignment. Is it missing some things or could things have been done differently or even better? Absolutely! We’re the worst critics of the things we hold nearest and dearest to our hearts. But if you’re up for going on a 90-minute adventure through amazing worlds, with awesome music, and characters that’ll make you smile and laugh, then this is the perfect movie to spring you into that warm summer feeling.
Plus there’s the whole part with karts and shells, and banana peels and oh my goodness how amazing was that?? It’s enough to make you want to stand up and cheer, then go home and destroy your friends and family on your favorite track haha.
The bottom line, it pays homage in all the right ways to the little guy with the mustache, while giving us something new and exciting. Take the kids and go see Super Mario Bros. You’ll be glad you did!
Warner Bros. Discovery Home Entertainment returns to WonderCon 2023
Justice League x RWBY: Superheroes & Hunters Opening Act Saturday, March 25 at 1:30 p.m. on North 200A. Talent confirmed so far to participate in the post-screening panel is Natalie Alyn Lind (Big Sky, The Goldbergs, Gotham) as Wonder Woman/Diana Prince and longtime RWBY cast member Lindsay Jones (Camp Camp) as Ruby, Kara Eberle ( RWBY: Ice Queendom) as Weiss, Arryn Zech (Detective Now Dead) as Blake and Barbara Dunkelman (Blood Fest) as Yang – along with Jeannie Tirado (Soul, Saints Row) as Green Lantern and Tru Valentino (The Rookie, The Cuphead Show!) as a cyborg. Also attending the panel will be producer/director Kerry Shawcross (series RWBY) and writer Meghan Fitzmartin (Supernatural, Justice Society: World War II).
Warner Bros. Discovery Home Entertainment returns to WonderCon 2023 with the big screen debut from DC Animated Films: highlights this year include the world premieres of the highly anticipated Batman: The Doom That Came To Gotham and Justice League x RWBY: Superheroes & Hunters Part One the weekend of March 24-26 in Anaheim, California. Both screenings will be followed by panel discussions with actors and creators. Batman: The Doom That Came To Gotham premieres at The Arena on Friday, March 24 at 6 p.m. Tati Gabrielle (Kaleidoscope, Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, Uncharted) as Kai Li Cain, Christopher Gorham (The Lincoln Lawyer, Insatiable) as Oliver Queen, David Dastmalchian (Dune, Suicide Squad, Ant-Man) as Grendon, producer/co-director Sam Liu (The Death and the Return of Superman), co-director Christopher Berkeley (Young Justice) and screenwriter Jase Ricci (Teen Titans Go! and DC Super Hero Girls: Mayhem Across the Multiverse).
Both films will have encore screenings in the Arena on Sunday, March 26. Justice League x RWBY: Super Heroes & Huntsmen, Part One will screen at 12:15pm, followed by Batman: The Doom That Came To Gotham at 2:00pm