As SYFY celebrates its 25th anniversary and its recent brand reboot, the network is headed to San Diego Comic-Con bigger and better than ever before. In addition to 15 SYFY series panels or screenings, the network is rolling out a host of events, activations and parties designed to leave no fan behind. And SYFY will once again extend the fun to fans nationwide, with a three-night live TV event,SYFY LIVE FROM COMIC-CON, hosted by Zachary Levi.
“San Diego Comic-Con is the pinnacle event of the year for sci-fi enthusiasts, and as the only network dedicated to the genre 24/7, we can’t wait to celebrate in a big way,” said Alexandra Shapiro, Executive Vice President, Marketing and Digital, USA Network and SYFY. “SYFY is going to San Diego this year with a singular focus: to put fans first.”
SYFY’s SDCC takeover includes:
PANELS AND SCREENINGS!
15 SYFY panels and screenings, including:
- A frakking great BATTLESTAR GALACTICA reunion! With creator Ron Moore and cast from the hit series.
- The ultimate sci-fi debate throwdown! Moderated by John Hodgman, the biggest names in the sci-fi universe duke it out over the most influential moments, milestones and people in the genre’s history. In “SYFY Hosts the Great Debate,” our expert panel will have the final word (or not!) on important topics like: “Star Trek” or “Star Wars”? Did Han or Greedo shoot first? And just who was the most influential captain of all time?
- Panels for 11 SYFY shows! Including:
- o SYFY’s upcoming Superman prequel series KRYPTON and the graphic novel adaptation HAPPY! (KRYPTON panel is co-hosted with Warner Bros. Television Group, and HAPPY! is co-hosted with Universal Cable Productions)
- o Stars and creators of current SYFY hits THE EXPANSE, THE MAGICIANS and 12 MONKEYS (THE MAGICIANS and 12 MONKEYS panels are co-hosted with Universal Cable Productions)
- o Fan favorites SHARKNADO, VAN HELSING, WYNONNA EARP, Z NATION and DARK MATTER — and upcoming new series GHOST WARS(All panels hosted by their respective studios)
- Two big screenings! SYFY and Universal Cable Productions are screening an all-new episode of the grindhouse series BLOOD DRIVE and the premiere episode of “NO-END HOUSE,” the next installment in SYFY’s hit horror anthology CHANNEL ZERO.
EVENTS AND ACTIVATIONS!
- SYFY fan parties! Stripping away the exclusivity of traditional Comic-Con parties, SYFY is throwing two nights of first-come-first-served bashes. Hosted at the Children’s Museum on Thursday, July 20 and Saturday, July 22, the themed parties feature photo booths, hourly surprises, live performances and more.
- Superfan nuptials! Who says Comic-Con isn’t romantic? Actor Orlando Jones makes fans’ dreams come true, as he presides over pop-up nuptials at TBD locations throughout the weekend.
- Trivia trolleys! Test your sci-fi knowledge and compete to win prize money and other giveaways on SYFY trolleys roaming the streets of San Diego.
- Cosplay karaoke buses! Take the stage – and the mic – to belt out your favorite sci-fi theme songs on SYFY buses traveling throughout the city. You might even be surprised by one of your favorite stars!
- Cosplay repair carts! Get an expert makeup touch-up or costume repair at these roaming carts, designed to ensure that all cosplaying ‘con-goers are at their camera-ready best.
- A SYFY drumline! A drumline marching through the streets of the Gaslamp Quarter, playing sci-fi theme songs and commemorating major moments in science fiction history? Yes, please.
- The Nerd Party lives on! SYFY is partnering with Zachary Levi to co-host his annual invitation-only Friday night party.
- Levi will host SYFY LIVE FROM COMIC-CON, a three-night live television event that allows fans across the country to experience the best Comic-Con has to offer, dissect breaking ‘Con news, and hear from their favorite stars and creators. Airing Thursday, July 20 through Saturday, July 22, the live event is produced by Wilshire Studios.
- SYFY WIRE’s intrepid reporters and correspondents are providing 24/7 coverage of all the breaking news from the ‘Con, online via www.syfy.com and on air on SYFY (including SYFY LIVE FROM COMIC-CON).
Caesar’s Reign Comes To The Big Screen With New Trailer For Kingdom Of The Planet Of The Apes
Director Wes Ball breathes new life into the global, epic franchise set several generations in the future following Caesar’s reign, in which apes are the dominant species living harmoniously and humans have been reduced to living in the shadows. As a new tyrannical ape leader builds his empire, one young ape undertakes a harrowing journey that will cause him to question all that he has known about the past and to make choices that will define a future for apes and humans alike. “Kingdom of the Planet of the Apes” is directed by Wes Ball (the “Maze Runner” trilogy) and stars Owen Teague (“IT”), Freya Allan (“The Witcher”), Kevin Durand (“Locke & Key”), Peter Macon (“Shameless”), and William H. Macy (“Fargo”). The screenplay is by Josh Friedman (“War of the Worlds”) and Rick Jaffa & Amanda Silver (“Avatar: The Way of Water”) and Patrick Aison (“Prey”), based on characters created by Rick Jaffa & Amanda Silver, and the producers are Wes Ball, Joe Hartwick, Jr., p.g.a. (“The Maze Runner”), Rick Jaffa, p.g.a., Amanda Silver, p.g.a., Jason Reed, p.g.a. (“Mulan”), with Peter Chernin (the “Planet of the Apes” trilogy) and Jenno Topping (“Ford v. Ferrari”) serving as executive producers.
Masterchef Is Back! For Halo Season 2
A quick recap – Halo is set in a war-torn 26th century, where humanity led by the United Nations Space Command or UNSC and their supersoldiers known as Spartans, fights against the onslaught of the alien conglomerate known as the Covenant. The full dust-up of Halo Season 1, can be found here. Onward into the introduction of Halo Season 2!
It’s been six months since the forced separation of Spartan Masterchief John (Pablo Schreiber) and Cortana (Jen Taylor), and the Silver Team has been sent on a mission to evacuate residents of the planet Sanctuary before the Covenant glasses the whole thing. This comes with its own set of challenges, given the resistance of the planet’s inhabitants, and it doesn’t help that Masterchef starts seeing things right in the middle of trying to save some marines. Or is he? Those energy swords the squad of Elites were carrying looked worryingly real.
Back on Reach, the Silver Team is entirely dismayed to learn they have a brand new Office of Naval Intelligence (ONI) representative come in as the new boss, to finally replace the traitorous Halsey, James Ackerson (Joseph Morgan). And of course, Ackerson manages to immediately get under Masterchief’s skin, by not only expressing far too much interest in John’s relationship with Cortana but also apparently disbelieving of John’s report of his encounters on Sanctuary. That just means Masterchief has to go around, if not entirely over, Ackerson’s head.
Elsewhere, Soren (Bokeem Woodbine) is trolling the slave markets in his boredom, only to stumble across a soon-to-be indentured servant who claims he knows the whereabouts of the UNSC’s most hunted human, Catherine Halsey (Natascha McElhone). That should bring a huge bounty, but really, Soren should’ve known better by now.
Halo Season 2 premieres Thursday, February 8th, 2024, and will continue to air every Thursday, only on Paramount+!
Reborn as a Vending Machine I Now Wander the Dungeon’: I look forward to your next use!
If the title of this delightful little isekai anime entry didn’t give it all away, our nameless protagonist is a vending machine fanatic who, after being killed by a vending machine, gets reincarnated in another fantasy-style world as one!
Japan has a tendency to give birth to all sorts of crazed fads that can last for decades, and no one does better when it comes to the vending machine industry, too. These days there are vending machines that will serve you sushi you can actually eat, hot pizza in the box, wagyu steaks, freshly popped popcorn, and a whole mind-boggling array of tasty treats, and other non-edible but still useful items! Umbrellas! Condoms! Oxygen masks, sterile bandages, shoes, and emergency clothing! Actually, far more things that we use on an everyday basis, could be considered as technically a vending machine, and the anime explores that beautifully. Into the world of vending machine fanaticism, we dive!
So our poor protagonist never gave a name, and inevitably when he’s discovered by his first official friend the starving hunter Lammis, she dubs him “Boxxo”. Like many isekai that seem to take inspiration from video games and RPGs, Boxxo discovers he ways he can communicate, level up his existence, and even evince magic-like powers and attack and defend against monsters and enemies. Though in the beginning, and as an underlying theme throughout the show, Boxxo is primarily concerned with providing unique never-before-tasted-in-this-world food and drink to the amazed folk, human and otherwise.
Boxxo’s prices are entirely reasonable and hey, he can even choose to give out his wares for free on occasion, so his popularity immediately skyrockets. Lammis with her awkward charm and prodigious strength blessing, introduces Boxxo to other friends of Clearflow Lake Village and associates along the way – Director Bear, an actual bear-monster who’s the head of the Hunters Association; Lammis’ friend Hulemy, the insane genius magic item engineer; the Bearcats Suco, Pell, Short and Mikenne, cheerful hunters with astronomic appetites; even suspicious Kerioyl, leader of the Menagerie of Fools party.
The show approaches the practicality and versatility of the true vending machine with amusement, but also with the love true fans display for things they’re passionate about. Certainly, things like a brothel needing a condom vending machine exist in our world, but to toss them into a potentially more innocent other-world isekai is a welcome and often hilarious treat. The show celebrates the cheerful idiocy and devotion of the fans to their chosen fandom, in this case, yes vending machines, but also the spirit of the lonely otaku finally finding their Tribe!
Pay your coins to watch ‘Reborn as a Vending Machine’ on Crunchyroll now!