Release Date: 5 February 2016
Director: Burr Steers
Writers: Burr Steers (screenplay), Jane Austen (Quirk Books novel), Seth Grahame-Smith (Quirk Books novel)
Stars: Lily James, Sam Riley, Douglas Booth
Production Co: Screen Gems, Lionsgate, Cross Creek
MPAA Rating: PG-13 for zombie violence and action, and brief suggestive material
Review by: Kate Oliver
How surprising! I thought it was going to be lame, but it was actually well adapted. I say lame because of the zombies. I don’t watch The Walking Dead, so there you go. However, I like this version for the fight scenes and the witty sarcasm. I did feel like Sam Riley seemed a bit awkward in this role, but then maybe it was his menacing stare and authoritative posture. I don’t know, but the leather jacket is a winner. Or maybe it was his raspy voice?
Lily James was perfectly suited for this role. At least I think so. She still portrayed Elizabeth My movie date was all over Mr. Darcy!! Also, we were both loving Matt Smith as Parson Collins. He took it to a more comedic level. If you recall in the 2005 film, Mr. Collins was a short, but still awkward man that the Bennett girls teased and laughed at. Of course, it happened in this version, but I think my favorite part was where (spoiler) the group was having tea with Lady Catherine and Mr. Wickam was making his case for funds. His response, after Lady Catherine: “hah, I need another scone.” Or something along the lines of that conversation. Anywhoo, even though some fans didn’t like it, here’s what I have for you:
1. You like zombies – watch it. It may be a bit gory, but not too much
2. You like legs – Lily James has legs for days, and you get a pretty cool peek at them
3. You think Douglas Booth is a hottie (he plays Mr. Bingley) – yea, definitely go watch it. You get to feast on eye candy quite a bit in this one
4. You like fight scenes: Lily James is pretty good at choreographed fight scenes, and Sam Riley. The Bennett girls put on a great fight tii
5. You just like Jane Austen: Just watch it then.
The fashion is great! I, of course, love A line,empire waist dresses…so. Yah